Support Clean Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency in Arizona! February 12, 2020
Tucson Electric Power (TEP) is clinging to expensive, harmful fossil-fuels despite the ever decreasing costs of renewable energy and cost-effectiveness of energy efficiency. Instead, we need to be transitioning to clean, safe renewable energy and energy efficiency that would reduce climate-change causing emissions and harmful pollutants that hurt Arizona communities.
TEP is proposing to hike the prices its customers pay for electricity, in order to cover the expenses associated with purchasing part of the Gila River Gas Plant, building the series of engines at the Sundt Gas Plant, and continued operation of two coal plants, Springerville and Four Corners. This is not the path forward to reduce harmful air pollution and address the climate crisis we are facing.
Are you outraged about this Tucson Electric Power (TEP) proposed rate hike to support more fossil fuel use! The Arizona Corporation Commission (ACC) is currently accepting public comment on the TEP rate case. Please tell the ACC that it is time for TEP to shift from fossil fuels to clean, safe renewable energy and energy efficiency.
- Copy the text below into the ACC online template here.
- In the online form enter for the “Docket Number”: E-01933A-19-0028.
- Mark for “Your position on the Docket”: AGAINST
- Make your comment unique: Rewrite the text below in your own words.
- Remove all RED CAPITALIZED text.
Dear Arizona Corporation Commission,
As a member of Physicians for Social Responsibility Arizona, I am writing to voice my strong opposition to Tucson Electric Power (TEP) proposal to increase the prices its customers pay for electricity, in order to cover the expenses associated with purchasing part of the Gila River Gas Plant, building the series of engines at the Sundt Gas Plant, and continued operation of two coal plants, Springerville and Four Corners.
[MENTION IF YOU ARE A TEP CUSTOMER, AND HOW LONG.]
[PUT IN YOUR OWN WORDS SOME OF THE POINTS BELOW ON WHY TEP SHOULD NOT BE INVESTING IN MORE FOSSIL FUEL PLANTS, BUT INSTEAD IN CLEAN, SAFE RENEWABLE ENERGY AND ENERGY EFFICIENCY TO PROTECT HUMAN HEALTH AND THE ENVIRONMENT.]
[IF YOU HAVE WORKED TO REDUCE YOUR ELECTRICITY BILL THROUGH ENERGY EFFICIENCY MEASURES OR SOLAR ENERGY MENTION WHAT YOU HAVE DONE.]
- Tucson Electric Power is clinging to expensive, harmful fossil-fuels despite the ever decreasing costs of renewable energy and cost-effectiveness of energy efficiency.
- TEP has not fully evaluated cleaner, cheaper renewable alternatives for fracked gas and coal, such as solar plus storage, and instead wants to maintain its over-reliance on fossil fuels.
- TEP is ignoring Arizona’s vast solar potential by sticking to the status quo of burning harmful, expensive fossil fuels.
- While TEP has indicated it will reduce coal reliance to 38% of retail energy deliveries by 2030, that pace is not nearly fast enough.
- Installing more solar will support a strong solar economy in Arizona. Arizona has more than 450 companies involved in solar development, bringing local jobs and tax dollars across the state. (https://www.seia.org/state-solar-policy/arizona-solar)
- TEP’s proposed increase in the basic service charge harms low-income residents and hinders energy efficiency by punishing consumers who work hard to conserve energy and be more energy efficient as they can’t do anything to reduce that fee. Energy efficiency continues to be the cheapest cleanest energy resource.
- While fracked gas is often considered a “bridge fuel,” gas plants are quickly being outpriced by clean energy technologies that have no fuel costs and low-maintenance costs.
- A transition to renewable energy would reduce climate-change causing emissions and harmful pollutants that hurt Arizona communities. Not only is TEP attempting to increase how much customers pay to keep expensive fossil-fuels online, but continued burning of coal and gas also has societal costs, ranging from increased risk of asthma and heart disease resulting from poor air quality to worsening drought and wildfire resulting from a changing climate.
- Children and older adults are especially at risk for air pollution related illnesses, like chronic heart disease, asthma and lung disease. (https://www.lung.org/our-initiatives/healthy-air/outdoor/air-pollution/who-is-at-risk.html)
[CONCLUDE WITH YOUR PERSONAL CALL TO REJECT THIS TEP PROPOSAL, WHICH WOULD HARM OUR CLIMATE & AIR, HEALTH AND WELL-BEING.]